Friday, July 6, 2012

Food Network Stars

Are you addicted to the Food Network? Well, join the crowd. My favorites are Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Pioneer Woman.

I recently took a short trip to Portsmouth, Virginia for the sole purpose of visiting a fried chicken joint that Guy Fieri had featured on one of his shows. Sorry to say the chicken was not as good as my mother’s, but a fun visit and the workers love to talk about Guy’s visit

As much as I love watching the shows, there are not many recipes that I really try. Most seem too complicated or use ingredients that I don’t have around the house. Last night I prepared a blueberry cobbler that I saw Ree Drummond prepare on her show Pioneer Woman. I just love her life. But back to the recipe, it was wonderful and super simple and will be a regular around my house, so I must share.

Recipe: Blackberry Cobbler #1

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 8

Ingredients:
• 1 stick Butter
• 1-1/4 cup Sugar
• 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
• 1 cup Milk
• 2 cups Blackberries (frozen Or Fresh)

Preparation Instructions:
Melt butter in a microwavable dish. Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. Butter a baking dish.

Now rinse and pat dry the blackberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar over the top.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it’s done.

Since it is blueberry season and I prefer blueberries over blackberries, I did a substitute and it was wonderful. I didn’t add the extra sugar at the end and it was plenty sweet enough. I used a 9 by 13 inch pan, so mine was a thin cobbler and did not take the full hour to cook. Go by the guidelines of golden brown and bubbly, you will not be disappointed. I now can’t wait for peaches to come into season so that I can give that a try. I think this will work with a variety of fruits.

The library has cookbooks from many of the Food Network Stars. There is Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill Cookbook, many books by Paula Deen and her sons; by Giada De Laurentiis---Giada at Home and Giada’s Kitchen.  Consider planning your next trip to a favorite food spot with Guy Fieri, Diner’s, Drive-ins and Dives: An All American Road Trip and Ree Drummonds, The Pioneer woman cooks: food from my frontier.

Happy Cooking,

Library Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment