Friday, June 29, 2012

School's Out for Summer!

School is out for summer; now what are we going to do??? The inevitable “I’m bored” will be coming at any moment. I do believe it is time to stock up on library books, a few DVDs and maybe some books on CD.

My oldest son is 11, going into the seventh grade and has already started fussing at me because he needed more books. He had finished reading all the books I had brought home for him and was so desperate, he finally had to take a book from the book shelves at home while grumbling at me “Mom, can you PLEASE bring me home something to read?” Of course, this is easier said than done. I can’t just bring home any book, it has to be a book that interests him or he won’t read it (a book that interests him: meaning I am supposed to read his mind and know exactly the book he was thinking of when he grumbled about needing a book). So, I thought I would share some of the books currently piquing his interests in hopes of helping others like me.

It seems that right now, he is all about reading a series, the more books in the series the better. Recently, he’s read: The Ranger’s Apprentice series, which has 11 books; however, book 11 is more of a companion’s guide then an actual part of the series. He read those quickly and really enjoyed them. He also read the Maximum Ride series and is currently reading the sixth book in The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. These are all books in the Young Adult collection of the library. He is also reading the Theodore Boone series by John Grisham, which is located in the children’s library.

I hope that these suggestions will give you a place to start when searching for something to interest your “tweens” and keep them reading this summer. I will continue next time with suggestions from my nine year old (fourth grader).

Until Next time, Happy Reading….

Dawn P. @ Warrenton

No comments:

Post a Comment