Friday, May 11, 2012

The Stories We Loved, part 2

Children's Book Week is winding down and we've had fun sharing books library staff love with folks visiting the libraries.   Here are a few more titles recommended by Bealeton Library staff to share with you.

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd, perfectly captures a young bunny’s dreams of grown-up independence and his simultaneous relief at being at home in the loving care of his mother. I remember it as a warm and comforting story. I also loved A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. It is a classic poetry book for children containing such familiar rhymes as “Rain,” “My Shadow,” “The Swing,” and “The Wind.” Common themes are a child’s discovery of the natural world and dreams of faraway places. “The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings” – lines still as true now as when I read them decades ago.

I remember reading the classic Black Beauty by Anna Sewell as a little girl. It was the first book that touched my heart and really opened my eyes to the fact that animals have thoughts and feelings of their own. As a teen I loved to curl up with a scary book by R.L. Stine. I would wait until my dad was in the room before I would pick it up and curl up near him. I was too scared to read them alone. I also loved the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary; it was so much fun to read about all the trouble she got herself into. I had so much fun as a child pretending I was a girl detective like Nancy Drew; my brother would pretend he was one of the Hardy Boys.

I read and reread Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder; I wanted to be Laura and live with Ma and Pa and explore the new frontier with them. Mr. Pine’s Purple House by Leonard Kessler was a great first introduction to individualism. I also read the Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell over and over again until my copy fell apart, marveling at the fierce independence of Karana. When I felt alone, and I often was as a child, I thought of her strength.

The Search For Delicious by Natalie Babbit was read to me by my 3rd grade teacher and has always been one of my favorites. Goodnight, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian was one of the first books about WWII I ever read, one of the first books that ever made me sob, and then go back and read it again. Sam, Bangs, and Moonshine by Evaline Ness a picture book my mom used to read to us. I liked the character and the word Flumadiddle.

Bealeton Branch Library Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment