Friday, May 4, 2012

The Stories We Loved, part 1

Children’s Book Week – a national celebration of children’s literature - begins May 7. Though there are many wonderful books, both new and classic, that deserve mention, the Bealeton staff recommend a few of their favorites.

As a child, I loved Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. My third grade teacher read it the class one chapter at a time and I could not wait to hear what happened next!

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls is so endearing; I love stories set in "simpler times," where hard work, good values and morals were core. I also loved Who’s a Pest by Crosby Bonsall; it is such a whimsical little story. I have fond memories listening to and learning to read with my mom.

As a child I loved tall tales and folklore. Paul Bunyan, Rip VanWinkle and Uncle Remus’ trickster tales are a few favorites. A fun way to revisit these stories is to check out an audio version, such as Rabbit Ears American Tall Tales with recordings by Angelica Houston, Jonathan Winters, Garrison Keillor and Nicolas Cage.

As a horse-crazy child, I remember reading every Black Stallion book that Walter Farley wrote. Another favorite was King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry. Filled with adventure and passion for horses, these books are still beloved today and I still get sentimental imagining those famous Arabians.

The books I enjoyed as a child were Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barret, any Nancy Drew book and almost anything by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.

Stop by any Fauquier County Public Library - favorite children's books of library staff will be on display - so celebrate Children’s Book Week with us by revisiting a favorite story or discovering a new one!

For more children's book recommendations visit Kiddosphere. Get details on library programs and services for children.

Bealeton Branch Library Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment