Friday, October 14, 2011

There and Back Again

When my daughter recently told me that she was reading The Lord of The Rings trilogy for the first time (she's never been a fan of fantasy or science fiction) and was really enjoying it, I was inspired to go back and re-read The Hobbit and the following triology. 

These had been favorites of mine in my younger days, so I pulled the yellowed and slightly tattered paperback off my shelves and settled in for a good read.  I was delighted to find that I still love the story of Bilbo's adventures traveling beyond The Shire with the wizard, Gandalf and the company of dwarves. 

On to the trilogy.  Now, The Hobbit is a pretty quick read, but The Lord of the Rings is different story (no pun intended).   So I decided once again to take advantage of my commute and checked out the CD of volume one, The Fellowship of the Ring.  Brit, Rob Inglis does an amazing job reading the books.  His voice was rich and full of feeling as he led me along the road to Mordor.  After finishing up The Two Towers and The Return of the King I was happy that I'd gone back to these old favorites.

With winter approaching, I'm wondering what other old favorites I might go back and read again.  Probably To Kill a Mockingbird next---Sissy Spacek is the reader---that might be a real treat.  But I'm open to suggestions. . .

Dawn S. @ Warrenton

No comments:

Post a Comment