Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Have a spot of tea and British fiction

I’ve been on “British kick” lately with my reading, I can’t imagine why. It all started with my book club’s choice of Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. It’s a great book to read, and to discuss with the girls.

Then, a title at the library caught my eye: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows, who also writes children’s books. This one is a wonderful fiction book with lots of British history. The library has in on CD and in large print also.

Because I enjoyed reading it so much, a fellow employee mentioned that I might also try Jacqueline Winspear. She writes a mystery series about Maisie Dobbs. I am not usually a fan of mysteries, but I couldn’t stop until I had read all six books in the series. I have recommended them to several people and everyone, so far, loves them.

Maisie is British, female, a private investigator and a psychologist, and all the mysteries take place after WWI. So, more England, history and fiction. We have these on CD and I’ve heard they are also very enjoyable to listen to. So, brew up “a spot of tea” and be entertained, while you learn.

Sheree @ Warrenton

No comments:

Post a Comment